With the recent Tik Tok trend of Whipped Coffee or better known as Dalgona Coffee, I chanced upon an equally hyped variant, the Matcha Latte! This energy-packed refreshing drink is all you need to kick start your day!
For the unversed, Matcha Green Tea powder is a Japanese green tea powder with a slightly bitter taste and a vibrant green color that results from the leaves’ high chlorophyll content. Matcha started gaining momentum a few years ago, owing to its multiple health benefits. Rather than simply infusing the leaves as in the case of Regular Green Tea, the whole tea leaf is consumed in Matcha recipes. This makes Matcha more superior to the Regular Green Tea.
Touted as the antioxidant powerhouse, it aids in reducing cell damage and preventing chronic diseases. Studies have also revealed that including Matcha in our diet can help protect the liver, lower blood pressure, promote heart health, and even aid in weight loss!
While Matcha does contain a more concentrated amount of caffeine than Regular Green Tea, it also contains L-theanine, which alters the effects of caffeine, promoting attentiveness and helps in avoiding the crash in energy levels that can follow caffeine consumption. This is what makes Matcha popular amongst the caffeine addicts looking for healthier alternatives to coffee!
Your Best Bet!
With the wide range of Matcha products available in the market, getting hold of the right product might get tricky. This is where WishCare’s Kimi-No Matcha range comes in as a boon! As a matter of fact, the Matcha comes from farms in Mie Prefecture, renowned for producing the best Japanese Matcha Teas.
A quick research online will tell you how difficult it is to find good quality Matcha in the market. But my apprehensions were put to rest as soon as I received my packet of Kimi-No Matcha. The Organic Matcha range comes in an easy to use pouch and with no added sugar! The powder feels very fine and silky. It presents a very fresh and mellow flavor and has a vibrant emerald green color- all traits of a high-quality Matcha powder!
WishCare provides two products in its Kimi-No Organic Matcha range. The Kimi-No Gold Matcha is the ceremonial grade Matcha powder while the Kimi-No Matcha is the premium grade powder. To distinguish, Ceremonial Grade Matcha is the best quality Matcha available and is typically enjoyed as the traditional Green Tea without any additional flavours or sweeteners. On the other hand, Premium Grade Matcha, still high quality, is not quite as sweet as Ceremonial Grade, which makes it ideal to be used as an ingredient in cooking, baking, and beverages.
This easy and quick Matcha recipe made with the Premium Grade Kimi-No Organic Matcha can instantly brighten your day!
Article contributed by Stuti Ananta, September 2020.
Iced Matcha Latte (Eggless)
Ready in 15 minutes
- 1 Tbsp Premium Matcha Powder
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Hot Milk
- 3 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Chilled Milk
- Combine the Matcha powder, hot milk, and sugar(or any sweetener of your choice) and whisk until lump-free.
- Begin whisking the heavy whipping cream.
- Add the matcha mixture halfway through the whipping of the heavy cream.
- Continue whipping until soft peaks. This should take around 5-10 mins.
- Take two glasses and stack them up with ice cubes and pour milk into each.
Add dollops of the Matcha cream onto the milk, and enjoy your Dalgona style Iced Matcha Latte.
- For an impatient individual such as me, a hand mixer or a stand mixer is highly recommended. Whipping up the cream manually will also get you the desired result but only after an excruciatingly long time.
- Be careful not to over whip the Heavy cream. In case that happens, you can add more whipping cream to get the correct consistency.
- Be sure to slowly add the brewed matcha + hot milk concoction part by part to the whipping cream to be able to adjust the flavor and color according to your preference.
- The sugar content can be adjusted according to the varying sweetness preferences. In fact, I like mine without any sweetening agents. So it’s completely optional. For the health-conscious folks out there, you can easily substitute sugar in this recipe for any other sweetener of your choice.
- This recipe can easily be used to make a hot cup of Matcha Latte by simply using hot milk instead of chilled milk and ice.
- If you’re looking for a vegan alternative, you could easily substitute Heavy cream for Aquafaba(Chickpea Liquid) or Coconut cream. As for the milk, any plant-based milk will do.
- For someone who regularly makes Matcha recipes, investing in a Chasen or a special Japanese bamboo whisk is highly recommended. Traditionally handcrafted from a single piece of bamboo, the purpose of the whisk is to coax the matcha into a uniform consistency as the powder tends to clump when coming into contact with water. Without using a chasen, you are likely to miss out on the delicate nuances that only perfectly blended matcha can offer.